Andania (1) was built steel by Scott’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd, Greenock, and launched on 22 March 1913. The ship was one of three vessels built for Cunard's Canadian service, the others being Alaunia (1) and Aurania (2).
Between 1914 and 1916 the Andania engaged in various troop carrying voyages before returning to transatlantic passenger service. On 27 January the Andania was hit by a torpedo fired by U 46 (Commander Leo Hillebrand), 2 miles north-north-east of Rathlin Island. Seven lives were lost.
|Dimensions||158.5 x 19.8 m (520 x 65 ft)|
|Fate||Torpedoed (U 46)|
The wreck of the Andania lies in water 112m deep, halfway between Rathlin Island off the north coast of Northern Ireland and Mull of Kintyre on the west coast of Scotland. The area is known for extremely strong tides and notoriously bad visibility. It is seldom visited by divers and many that have dived it rate it as the toughest wreck dive in the British Isles.
The Andania rests on a muddy seabed and lies across the tide in an approximately east–west direction. The wreck stands 13m proud, making the shallowest point just under 100m. It is upright with a slight list to starboard. The bow is badly damaged and much of the superstructure has gone.
|Position||55°18'.917 N 005°58'.583 W|
|Tides||Slack water only|