Shipwrecks of famous shipping lines

Curlew

1853-1856, Bermuda

Curlew

History

The Curlew was a single-screw iron steamship built in 1853 at the Denny’s Shipyard, Dumbarton. She was barquentine rigged with three masts and a poop deck. The ship served the Halifax – Bermuda – St Thomas itinerary which was inaugurated by the Curlew in July 1854. The Bermuda service ran successfully for two years until the Curlew left Halifax on 14 March 1856 for her final fateful voyage under the command of Captain Hunter.

 

Statistics
Built1853
Lost18-mar-1856
Tonnage528
Dimensions55.5 x 6.7 m (182 x 22 ft)
Speed-
FateWrecked

Wreck

The Curlew lies in shallow water on the north edge of the reef, 1 mile east of North Rock. Not much remains of the wreck today apart from a few small sections of the hull and deck plating which is fused the coral. There is an abundance of colourful marine life.

 

Dive Data
PositionN 32 28.979' W 064 45.144'
Depth11m (36ft)
TidesAny time
VisibilityExcellent

Dive Operators
More Information

Videos

Sorry, no video for this wreck.