Indus (2) was laid down as Timsah by William Denny & Brothers, Dumbarton. The ship had originally been ordered by Cunard Line as the sister ship to Parthia (1) but P&O took over the contract and the vessel was launched as Indus (2) on 20 February 1871. Made of iron, with a straight stem (a first for P&O), and driven by a single screw powered by compound inverted direct-acting steam engines.
The Indus (2) stranded on a shoal off Mullaitivu, about 60 miles north of Trincomalee, Ceylon. The ship was on a voyage from Calcutta to London carrying a cargo of wheat, indigo and tea.
|Dimensions||109.8 x 12.3 m (360.4 x 40.4 ft)|
In 2014 the Maritime Archaeology Unit of Sri Lanka published a report announcing that they had located the possible remains of the Indus (2) off Mullaitivu during an expedition in August 2013. The wreck was found resting on a sandy bottom in water at a depth of around 8–10 m and reported to be covered in fishing nets and in a fragile state. The wreck is about two miles away from the charted location.