Tasmania was built for P&O by Caird & Co., Greenock, and launched on 17 May 1884. The steel passenger liner’s single screw was powered by compound inverted direct-acting steam engines. Capacity for 107 first-class and 44 second-class passengers. Employed on Indian and Far Eastern services.
Wrecked on Les Moines rock off the south coast of Corsica on a voyage from Bombay to London. All passengers survived but there were 35 fatalities comprising the captain, fifth officer, quartermaster and 32 lascars.
|Dimensions||122.0 x 13.8 m (400.3 x 45.2 ft)|
The stern section is the most recognisable part of the wreck and lies on its starboard side with the rudder still in place. The large propeller is a few metres away and the tips of two blades have broken off. The boilers have tumbled out across the seabed. The remainder of the Tasmania’s flattened hull is spread out over a large area and heavily concreted.
NOTE: The Tasmania wreck falls within the boundary of the Réserve Naturelle des Bouches de Bonifacio marine nature reserve where scuba diving has been prohibited since 1999.